Sorry to disappoint – but, no, we aren’t talking about the movie. Or the books.
We’re talking about the new it color for home decor. Whether it’s browns with gray tones, blues with gray tones, greens with gray tones, or gray with gray tones – gray is the newest neutral.
We’ve had some customers comment that they love the modern, light, gray colors – but they don’t know how to incorporate it into their existing color scheme. But, that’s what’s great about a neutral! You can mix it in, in small doses or big.
So often, we tend to get stuck in one color wave or trying to be too matchy. Instead, modern design is all about a pop of color in a neutral landscape, with lots of texture, pattern, and mixed materials. Our neutrals – grays, creams, whites, browns, silvers, golds – are just the foundation. Much like the trend we are seeing in jewelry, don’t be afraid of mixing gold and silver, gray or cream, or cold tones with warm tones. Instead, embrace it!
For our Friday Five, we are featuring a few of our new items to give you ideas for simple ways to incorporate gray tones into any home.
1. The kitchen is one of the easiest places to incorporate gray because it coordinates well with stainless steel or brushed nickel appliances and hardware. Add some canisters, like the ones pictured, or fun dishes for an easy and trendy punch of gray.
2. Look for accessories that mix gray with your existing color scheme – like this throw pillow and lamp. While mostly neutral, they have a pop of color to coordinate with items you already have. We’ve said it before – and probably will again! – pillows are one of the easiest ways to transition your decor toward a new trend. They easily mix colors, while bringing in new patterns and textures.
3. Soften your room with an area rug with gray in it. Many of us have warm and rich hardwood floors. Adding a cooler-toned gray rug helps set apart both the rug and the floors.
4. Mixed metal accessories are an easy way to tie together warm brown and cream tones with cool gray tones. This mirror, lamp, and centerpiece all flawlessly mix together gold, silver, and bronze.
5. Gray toned floral stems are great to mix into an arrangement to bring together a room and make it feel polished and complete. Here is the same gray floral stem, styled and arranged in two different ways to show you how versatile gray really is!