On our Facebook page and Instagram, we shared a few sneak peaks of a house that Kari decorated recently. One of the features in the house is a really neat and unique, sunken conversation pit surrounding a floor to ceiling brick fireplace with bookshelves on either side.
Here’s what the space looked like before:
It was fun to watch the transformation. After finishing this area, Kari shared her favorite tricks and tips for styling a bookshelf:
- Adjust shelves so that they aren’t the same height or symmetrical. This gives the shelves more visual interest and helps define the space that the various accessories will sit in.
- Use canvases or trays as backgrounds to bring color to the shelves and anchor the accessories.
- Don’t use too many picture frames! Pick your favorite and best family photos and display them in beautiful frames.
- Lamps are an easy way to add diversity and color.
- Diversity is so important to keep your eye moving through the space. So, mix shapes – use round, square, tapered, oblong…
- And, most importantly, use fewer pieces that make a big statement, rather than several items that don’t make much of a statement at all.
Click here to see more pictures of houses that Kari has decorated!